Time carried an article some time back about what dogs really think. I felt science was catching slowly up to what dog people intuitively know about their dogs. I also think we will never know for sure and the best we can do is come up with good guesses as to what our dogs are really thinking.
Yesterday, I remembered this article again when this happened- Mowgli was begging Rahul for some table scraps and at the same time I picked up his leash and promised to let him out. Confronted with two attractive choices, we waited to see what he would pick. The food turned out to be too compelling. After giving me a few glances, he persisted begging at the table. I was about to put the leash away when Rahul firmly told him 'No' and pulled the plate away. In an instant, Mowgli changed his mind and came running to me to let him out!
Though the thought crossed our minds that it may have been coincidence, we were amazed at what had happened. To start with, Mowgli had understood that there was one of the two things he could do. He chose one of them. Then he understood that he was told a 'No', remembered there was another choice and switched to the second best option available to him. May be he thought "The guy is not going to give me his food, so might as well go outside". Who knows!
As a parent I feel the same way about the kids! Interesting new background and blog set up.
ReplyDeleteThat is pretty amazing and reinforces what I've been thinking all alone (and saying sometimes) - the border collie in him clearly dominates the lab.
ReplyDelete